Evan D. Schein
Phone: 212-867-9123 Fax: 212-983-8526
Evan Schein is a partner with the firm. Mr. Schein joined Berkman Bottger Newman & Schein LLP in 2010 after practicing at another well-known matrimonial law firm since 2008. Mr. Schein’s law career has been entirely devoted to the practice of family law. He has litigated matrimonial matters in the Supreme and Family Courts of Manhattan, Kings, Queens, Nassau, Suffolk and Rockland Counties, and has also worked extensively in the courts of Westchester County, where the firm retains an office.
As a partner with the firm, Mr. Schein assists in the management of the firm’s mediation and collaborative law practices. Mr. Schein’s personal practice focuses on the negotiation and litigation of contested family law and matrimonial matters. He also specializes in prenuptial agreements. Mr. Schein is a litigator who feels at home in the courtroom, and who uses his extensive knowledge of the law to push cases toward favorable settlements, or try them if needed. Mr. Schein prides himself on working closely with clients to develop litigation and trial strategies that get results. Whether negotiating or trying a case, Mr. Schein zealously advocates for his clients’ interests.
Mr. Schein has been included in the New York Metro Super Lawyers Edition from 2013 to 2018. He sits on the faculty of the New York College of Matrimonial Trial Attorneys, taught several Continuing Legal Education seminars, and has been cited in various publications for his work on prominent New York family law cases. He has achieved the top rating of 10 at Avvo, the prominent attorney ranking database. Mr. Schein has completed the National Institute for Trial Advocacy and American Bar Association’s Family Law Trial Advocacy Program.
Mr. Schein is a member of the New York State Bar Association (Family Law Section and Executive Committee); New York County Bar Association (Family Law Section); New York State Women’s Bar Association; American Bar Association (Family Law Section); Westchester County Bar Association; and the National Institute Trial Association.
Areas of Practice
Honors and Recognitions
- Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2013-2019
- Avvo Rating of 10, Top Family Attorney
- Martindale-Hubbell Client Champion, 2018-2019
- New York State Bar Association (Member, Family Law Section; Member, Executive Committee)
- American Bar Association (Member, Family Law Section)
- New York State Women’s Bar Association
- New York County Lawyer’s Association
- New York City Bar Association
- Westchester County Bar Association
- Association of Family and Conciliation Court (Member, New York Chapter)
- New York Association of Collaborative Professionals
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Rockland County Bar Association (Past Co-Chair, New Lawyers Committee)
- Nassau County Bar Association
- November 9, 2018: "The Effective Use of Collaterals in Child Custody Evaluations," presented to the American Association of Family and Conciliation Courts Annual Symposium, Denver, Colorado.
- April 23, 2018: "Controversies Surrounding Preparation of Clients for Child Custody Evaluations," presented to the New York County Bar Association.
- April 22, 2017: "A Mental Health Professional's Guide to Understanding the Law in Child Custody Proceedings," presented to the New York Center for Living.
Quotes and Publications
- “Remember to Act Like a Good Parent: The Ethical Limits to Preparing a Client for Forensic Examination” - Family News & Views, April 2018
- Q&A: Litigating a Divorce, Westchester Magazine, May 14, 2018
- Report: Woman alleges Bartolo Colon fathered 2 children with her, ESPN.com, May 19, 2016
- Homeless Family Fighting for Custody of Kids, Yahoo! Parenting, October 21, 2015
- Couple’s Rent Pact for Grown Children Found Unenforceable, New York Law Journal, October 20, 2015
- A.H. v. G.H., Supreme Court, Kings County, 201
- For Mets’ Bartolo Colon, 107 Pitches, No Homer, and a Loss, New York Times, May 18, 2016
- Bartolo Colon’s Double Life with Secret Family, New York Post, May 18, 2016
- Mets’ Bartolo Colon and his baby mama reach deal in child support battle, New York Daily News, June 17, 2016
- Mets pitcher Bartolo Colon sued for child support in secret family case, LA Times, May 18, 2016
- Court nixes contract: Dad can stop paying for kids’ expenses, Money Talks News, October 26, 2015
- Syracuse University, B.S.
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D.
Admitted to Practice
- New York