Evan D. Schein
Phone: 212-867-9123 Fax: 212-983-8526
Head of Litigation
Evan Schein is a partner with the firm and leads the firm’s litigation practice. Mr. Schein joined Berkman Bottger Newman & Schein LLP in 2010 after practicing at another well-known matrimonial law firm.
Mr. Schein is an experienced litigator with an ability to find creative solutions to complex issues. This allows Mr. Schein to deliver optimum results for his clients at trial or during settlement negotiations. Mr. Schein prides himself on working closely with his clients to develop litigation and negotiation strategies that fit a client’s goals. Whether negotiating a prenuptial agreement for a client or litigating a divorce, Mr. Schein zealously advocates for his clients’ interests.
Mr. Schein has litigated matrimonial matters in the Supreme and Family Courts of Manhattan, Kings, Queens, Nassau, Suffolk and Rockland Counties, and has also worked extensively practicing in the courts of Westchester County, where the firm retains an office.
Mr. Schein also focuses his practice on representing professional athletes in family law matters. Prior to becoming an attorney, Mr. Schein was a sports agent. He has now blended his two passions of sports and family law to create a unique practice of sports-oriented family law. Mr. Schein’s familiarity with athlete contracts and the complex compensation structures, endorsement and marketing deals, and relocation custodial issues for athletes enables him to understand the wide array of issues present in representing clients in the sports and entertainment industries. He frequently works with sports and entertainment agents, prominent trust and estate attorneys, financial advisors, and insurance specialists to protect his client’s interests.
Mr. Schein has been recognized in the New York Metro Super Lawyers Edition from 2013 to 2019. He sits on the faculty of the New York College of Matrimonial Trial Attorneys, has taught several Continuing Legal Education seminars for various organizations and bar associations in New York and nationally, and has been cited in publications for his work on prominent New York family law cases. He has achieved the top rating of 10 at Avvo, the prominent attorney-ranking database. In 2019, Mr. Schein was selected for inclusion in the Westchester Business Council’s prestigious 40 Under 40 list.
Mr. Schein is an active member of many organizations and bar associations including the New York State Bar Association (Family Law Section, Sports and Entertainment Law Section and Executive Committee); New York County Bar Association (Family Law Section); New York State Women’s Bar Association; American Bar Association (Family Law Section); Westchester County Bar Association.
Areas of Practice
Honors and Recognitions
- Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2013-2019
- Avvo Rating of 10, Top Family Attorney
- Martindale-Hubbell Client Champion, 2018-2019
- American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, 10 Best Under 40, 2019
- National Academy of Family Law Attorneys, Top 10 Under 40, 2018
- Business Council of Westchester, 40 Under 40, 2019 Rising Star
- New York State Bar Association (Member, Family Law Section; Member, Executive Committee)
- American Bar Association (Member, Family Law Section)
- New York State Women’s Bar Association
- New York County Lawyer’s Association
- New York City Bar Association
- Westchester County Bar Association
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (Member, New York Chapter)
- New York Association of Collaborative Professionals
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Rockland County Bar Association (Past Co-Chair, New Lawyers Committee)
- Nassau County Bar Association
- February 26, 2020: Wine and Wealth “Money and Marriage” Panel, presented at Wells Fargo
- December 16, 2019: “The role of a financial professional as an expert witness,” presented to the Association of Family and Divorce Professionals
- November 9, 2018: "The Effective Use of Collaterals in Child Custody Evaluations," presented to the American Association of Family and Conciliation Courts Annual Symposium, Denver, Colorado.
- October 16, 2018: “Preparing for and conducting party depositions,” presented to the New York State Bar Association
- April 23, 2018: "Controversies Surrounding Preparation of Clients for Child Custody Evaluations," presented to the New York County Bar Association.
- April 22, 2017: "A Mental Health Professional's Guide to Understanding the Law in Child Custody Proceedings," presented to the New York Center for Living.
Quotes and Publications
- “Remember to Act Like a Good Parent: The Ethical Limits to Preparing a Client for Forensic Examination” - Family News & Views, April 2018
- Q&A: Litigating a Divorce, Westchester Magazine, May 14, 2018
- Report: Woman alleges Bartolo Colon fathered 2 children with her, ESPN.com, May 19, 2016
- Homeless Family Fighting for Custody of Kids, Yahoo! Parenting, October 21, 2015
- Couple’s Rent Pact for Grown Children Found Unenforceable, New York Law Journal, October 20, 2015
- A.H. v. G.H., Supreme Court, Kings County, 201
- For Mets’ Bartolo Colon, 107 Pitches, No Homer, and a Loss, New York Times, May 18, 2016
- Bartolo Colon’s Double Life with Secret Family, New York Post, May 18, 2016
- Mets’ Bartolo Colon and his baby mama reach deal in child support battle, New York Daily News, June 17, 2016
- Mets pitcher Bartolo Colon sued for child support in secret family case, LA Times, May 18, 2016
- Court nixes contract: Dad can stop paying for kids’ expenses, Money Talks News, October 26, 2015
Admitted to Practice
- New York