TWO SIDES OF THE COIN
A series of articles written by Ian Steinberg in conjunction with an array of other professionals from different industries. The series provides insights into issues from the perspective of each party to a divorce. Each article provides readers with practice tips that are helpful when navigating through the divorce process.
Ian Steinberg is a senior associate with Berkman Bottger Newman & Schein, LLP. His practice focuses on the litigation, mediation, negotiation, and settlement of complex high net worth matrimonial and family law cases. Ian also specializes in negotiating and drafting prenuptial and postnuptial agreements.
Ian has been recognized as a New York Metro Area Super Lawyers Rising Star in 2021 and 2022. His work consists of assisting high net worth individuals navigate issues related to equitable distribution, child support, spousal maintenance, and contested custody matters.
Ian’s unique blend of skills and experience, including extensive experience with litigation and high-level negotiation, provides him with special insight into the divorce process. Ian is sensitive to his clients’ emotional needs while helping them obtain the results to ensure a stable and successful future.
Ian is formally trained in mediation and regularly mediates divorce and family law matters. Ian has also been trained in collaborative law and regularly represents clients who wish to engage in such a process.
Previously, Ian worked at a New York City real estate firm representing building owners in courts throughout the five boroughs and surrounding areas. Ian also provided counsel for cooperatives and condominiums and represented both landlords and tenants in negotiations of commercial lease agreements. Ian also represented individual and bank clients handling their residential real estate closings.
Ian is the author of the article series “Two Sides of the Coin” in which he collaborates with an array of professionals from different industries. The series provides insights into issues from the perspective of each party to a divorce, while recommneding practice tips that are helpful when navigating through the divorce process.
Areas of Practice
- Emory University, Goizueta School of Business, B.A.
- Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, J.D.
Admitted to practice law
- New York (incl. Southern District)
- New Jersey
- New York City Bar Association
- Family and Divorce Mediation Council
- New York State Bar Association
Honors and Recognitions
- Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2021-2022
Media, Quotes & Publications
- 4/11/23: Navigating Divorce as a Business Owner in New York with Ian Steinberg, Esq., Find The Money Podcast
- 1/16/23: Mom Slammed for Telling Her Kids Their Sick Dad Was Dead: 'No Coming Back', Newsweek
- 1/11/23: Dad Planning To Camp in Ex's Driveway for 3 Weeks Slammed: 'Weird', Newsweek
- 11/14/22: Woman Wanting To Reunite With Daughter She Disowned in 2005 Splits Opinion, Newsweek
- 6/6/22: Divorce Problems and Solutions in Dividing Real Estate Assets, Rich In Relationship Podcast
- 4/19/22: 5 Must Do’s for Selling the House During a Divorce, SAS for Women
- 2/11/22: The Top 7 Things to Know About Postnuptial Agreements, SAS for Women
- 12/06/21: Settling Real Estate Disputes during Your Divorce, Financially Ever After Podcast
- 09/2020: NYC Law Providing Relief for Commercial Tenants Faces Constitutional Scrutiny, Law.com
- 01/2016: Making Offers No One Can Refuse: Effective Contract Drafting – Part 1, New York State Bar Association Journal
- 2/2023: How to Handle Your Personal Finances After Divorce
- 12/2022: Effectively Co-Parenting Over the Holidays
- 11/2022: Is This a Question For My Lawyer or My Therapist?
- 10/2022: Know What You Have Before Dividing It
- 09/2022: Litigation vs. Mediation: Different Process Choices with Similar Goals
- 08/2022: Getting Your Relationship Back On Track
- 07/2022: Breaking Down the Basics: Finances of Divorce
- 06/2022: Tips For Successful Co-Parenting After Divorce
- 05/2022: The Marital Residence Post Divorce
- 02/2021: 5 Things You Cannot Do Once You File For Divorce
- 11/2020: 6 Tips For Newly Divorced or Separated Parents Over The Holidays
- 10/2020: Does The Real Estate Market Make Now The Right Time To Separate