Joshua L. Rieger is a partner with the firm. Mr. Rieger is a litigator who exclusively practices in the areas of matrimonial and family law. He handles all aspects of matrimonial litigation, from simple uncontested divorces to highly litigated complex custody and financial matters. Mr. Rieger is also a mediator.
Mr. Rieger prides himself on representing his clients with a practical, day-to-day dignity that can often be lacking, particularly in the practice of matrimonial law. He is a hands-on lawyer, equally adept at courtroom advocacy and guiding clients through the often emotional divorce process.
While in law school, Mr. Rieger served as a member of the Family Court Review and assisted Professor Andrew Schepard in the drafting of the Uniform Collaborative Law Act. Immediately following graduation, he assisted the Honorable Timothy S. Driscoll in updating New York State Practice Series Commercial Litigation New York State Courts. Thereafter, from 2010 to 2012, Mr. Rieger worked as an associate at Harmon Linder & Rogowsky, a personal injury law firm in downtown Manhattan, where he first learned trial skills. Before joining Berkman Bottger Newman & Schein, Mr. Rieger was a partner with the prominent Long Island matrimonial firm of Rieger, LLP, along with his father Kieth, who is now also a partner with the firm.
Mr. Rieger is a member of the Nassau County Bar Association and its Matrimonial Law Committee and Young Lawyers Committee. He is also a member of the New York State Bar Association and its Family Law Section. Mr. Rieger is also heavily involved in pro bono activities, and has contributed his legal and fundraising skills to the Safe Center LI, which aids victims of domestic violence, and the Long Island Leukemia Lymphoma Society.
Areas of practice
- Divorce Litigation
- Divorce Negotiation
- Postnuptial Agreements
- Prenuptial Agreements
- Equitable Distribution
- Marital Agreements
- Spousal Support
- Child Custody
- Child Support
- Post-divorce Actions
- Domestic Violence
- Hofstra University School of Law, J.D., 2009
- State University of New York at Binghamton, B.A., 2005
Admitted to Practice Law
Honors and Recognitions
- Super Lawyers Rising Star New York Metro Area, 2014 - Present
- Ten Leaders: Family Law, Long Island (Age 45 & Under), 2019 - Present
- New York State Bar Association, 2010 – Present
- New York County Lawyer’s Association, 2010 – 2012
- Nassau County Bar Association, 2012 – Present
- Nassau County Bar Association, Family Law Committee, 2012 - Present
- Nassau County Bar Association, Young Lawyer’s Committee, 2012 - 2015
- New York State Bar Association, Family Law Section, 2012 - Present
- New York State Bar Association, Matrimonial Law Section, 2013 - Present
- New York State Bar Association, Young Lawyer’s Section, 2013 – Present
- Membership Committee Chair: New York State Bar Association, Young Lawyer’s Section, 2017 – 2018
- Member: Nassau County Bar Association Matrimonial Inns of Court, 2015 - Present
- Member: Nassau County Democratic Committee, 2015-Present
- Volunteer: Nassau County Democratic Committee, 2008-2010
- United Way of Long Island, Live United Luncheon Planning Committee, 2015 – 2016
- President: BNI Accountable Pros, 2017
- Long Island Leukemia Lymphoma Society: Man/Woman of the Year Fundraising Board Member, 2020-2021
- Collateral Estoppel: Preventing a Second Bite at the Apple for Litigant in Contemporaneous Family and Supreme Court Proceedings”, Family Law Review, Winter 2016.
- “Early Planning is Key Component to Protect Yourself in Divorce,” Long Island Business News, December 5, 2018. (Co-Authored with Kieth I. Rieger, Esq)
- “Three Things to Look For in a Divorce Lawyer,” Long Island Weekly, February 11, 2020.
- “Finding a New Fairness for Divorcing Couples,” Long Island Business News, June 12, 2020.
- Genn, Adina, “Divorces, Custody Issues Spiking in Pandemic,” Long Island Business News, April 24, 2020 (interviewed)