If you are approaching a divorce, chances are you feel overwhelmed, anxious, scared, or some combination of all three. Our firm’s collective experience in guiding clients through this new and intimidating process has led us to a few simple truths that anyone approaching a divorce should keep in mind. Let these simple tips reduce your anxiety, because you can be secure in the knowledge that they will put you on the right footing for the coming legal proceedings.
- Be honest with your attorney, and be responsive to your attorney’s requests for information.
- Make an inventory of all marital and separate real and personal property with approximate values.
- Prepare a package of financial information including but not limited to: tax returns, bank statements, securities account information, credit card statements, loan documents, real estate transactions, etc.
- List all the activities you participate in with your children.
- Prepare a budget of your and your children’s monthly expenses.
- Clarify for yourself, before you see an attorney, your own important needs, interests and priorities.
- Do not involve your children in the divorce proceedings.
- Try not to argue with your spouse. If unavoidable, do not argue in front of your children.
- Do not say negative things about your spouse to your children, or to someone else within hearing range of your children.
- Try not to get overly emotional around your children about your divorce or your life after divorce. You may risk increasing their insecurity and fear about the future.
- Do not deny your spouse access to the children, unless there is a good reason to do so (i.e. domestic violence, abuse, etc.), and then only on the advice of counsel.
- Do not change the locks to the residence unless advised to do so by counsel.
CREATIVE SOLUTIONS TO DIFFICULT & COMPLEX PROBLEMS
All families and marriages are unique - our attorneys take the time to listen to our clients to fully understand the circumstances of their case. Only then do we advise the best legal option for their goals.
PROMPT RESPONSES TO INDIVIDUAL NEEDS AND INQUIRES
Divorce is a time of transition. We understand the emotional and financial stress that clients experience during the divorce process – from day one our team ensures that we provide our clients with prompt feedback so that they are updated on their case every step of the way.
CHOICES AND OPTIONS TAILORED TO EACH CASE
We are one of the only Manhattan divorce law firms offering all three options for divorce: litigation/negotiation, collaborative law, and mediation - providing custom strategies and solutions for our clients.
INDUSTRY THOUGHT LEADERS DEDICATED TO YOUR SUCCESS
Our attorneys provide frequent expert legal commentary for national media outlets and have been quoted in numerous publications including Fox's Business, NBC News, ABC News, CBS News and many more.