Create Your Family Law Case with Our Help
Family law is a sensitive legal topic. You and someone you know closely will be opposing parties in a legal conflict, so the likelihood of a heated fight is high. However, you can take steps right now to reduce the risk of a complicated family law case. Start by getting Berkman Bottger Newman & Schein on your side.
We have a team of Westchester family lawyers who are ready to guide and support you however we can. With years and years of collective legal experience, we are ready for any challenge that could arise. When we are acting on your behalf, all of our experience and insight become your own.
On This Page:
- Family Law Cases We Handle in Westchester
- Westchester Mediation Services
- When Should You Hire a Family Lawyer?
- Ready to Help – Just Give Us a Call
- Westchester Family Law FAQ
Our team of attorneys aims to minimize risk while promoting your best interests. Whether your issues and concerns include the welfare of your children, the future of your business, or the assets you built over a lifetime, we are here to protect and represent you in the most effective and efficient ways possible.
Please contact us with your questions concerning:
- Divorce: Ending your marriage can be intimidating, but we are here to support you through it all. Talk to us about the best ways to start a divorce, or how to respond to divorce papers if you have been served them recently.
- Divorce Negotiation: Using our talents and focus on amicability, we can end your divorce through negotiation or mediation that reduces the stress and conflict that everyone feels.
- Child Custody: Who will retain the right to make important decisions for your children after the divorce ends? Let us fight to make sure that you get the child custody agreement that benefits you and your children.
- Child Support: A child support arrangement is used to make sure that a child of divorce still lives comfortably as if the divorce did not happen. Typically, the parent who doesn’t have primary custody or parenting time rights pays the parent who does a monthly amount that must be used to support the child’s needs.
- Spousal Maintenance/Alimony: If a divorce would put the spouse of lesser income into financial hardship, then spousal maintenance or alimony can be used until that spouse is financially stable again.
- Property Division/Equitable Distribution: New York requires that marital property – or property that is accrued during the marriage –be divided equitably or fairly in divorce, not equally. Separate property should be left untouched, though.
- Prenuptial Agreements: You can pre-decide divorce provisions in a prenuptial agreement before you are ever married. Many couples say that getting a prenuptial agreement has helped their marriage because it removes much of the stress of a divorce just in case one ever happens.
- Postnuptial Agreements: A prenuptial agreement that is made after a marriage is officiated is called a postnuptial agreement. It serves the same “just in case” purpose.
- Modification and Enforcement of Orders: When a divorce or family law case ends, the order that was created isn’t permanent and unchanging. You can ask the court to modify it under certain circumstances. We can also help you enforce an order if your spouse is ignoring it.
- Appeals: If a family law court makes an order that seems legally incorrect to you, then let our Westchester family lawyers know. We can help you file an appeal to have that decision revisited and potentially changed.
- Post-Judgment Disputes: Before an appeal is filed, you might have the chance to enter a post-judgment dispute. This action requests a family law order to be revisited without the need to go to an appellate court.
- Parenting Plans: A parenting plan will decide how much time you get to spend with your child after a divorce or during a legal separation. Let us help you work towards a parenting plan that represents your child’s best interests.
Westchester Mediation Services
We mediate a range of family issues, including divorce, separation, parenting, asset division, and prenuptial and postnuptial agreements. Mediation is a voluntary process where people work together with a trained mediator to negotiate and resolve their differences in a non-adversarial forum. The mediator facilitates communication, helps you to evaluate your options, and helps you to reach a mutually agreeable resolution. To learn more about mediation please read the benefits of Mediation. Berkman Bottger Newman & Schein LLP features several award-winning divorce mediators.
When Should You Hire a Family Lawyer?
You might know that you could benefit from the help of a family law attorney, but not be convinced to hire one. When should you hire a family lawyer?
We recommend that you at least talk to our Westchester family lawyers if:
- Your family law case involves your children.
- Your family law case involves significant assets, finances, or property.
- Your opposing spouse or family member has hired an attorney.
- You aren’t familiar with New York’s family laws.
- You can’t commit much time to working on the case.
- You want moral support and legal guidance as your case proceeds.
Ready to Help – Just Give Us a Call
Our entire team at Berkman Bottger Newman & Schein LLP in Westchester is ready to help you with your family law case. We know how to focus on getting you the best possible outcome while also handling the situation sensitively. Many clients don’t want to completely undo the relationships that they have with the opposing party. With us leading the way, you can keep your relationships stable while resolving any legal conflicts. Of course, if you are ready to fight them in court and sever your ties, then we have your back in this regard, too.
Contact us online to ask about family law support in Westchester.
CREATIVE SOLUTIONS TO DIFFICULT & COMPLEX PROBLEMS
All families and marriages are unique - our attorneys take the time to listen to our clients to fully understand the circumstances of their case. Only then do we advise the best legal option for their goals.
PROMPT RESPONSES TO INDIVIDUAL NEEDS AND INQUIRES
Divorce is a time of transition. We understand the emotional and financial stress that clients experience during the divorce process – from day one our team ensures that we provide our clients with prompt feedback so that they are updated on their case every step of the way.
CHOICES AND OPTIONS TAILORED TO EACH CASE
We are one of the only Manhattan divorce law firms offering all three options for divorce: litigation/negotiation, collaborative law, and mediation - providing custom strategies and solutions for our clients.
INDUSTRY THOUGHT LEADERS DEDICATED TO YOUR SUCCESS
Our attorneys provide frequent expert legal commentary for national media outlets and have been quoted in numerous publications including Fox's Business, NBC News, ABC News, CBS News and many more.