Skip to content

We want you to stay safe and healthy. Our firm is currently offering remote consultations. Please contact us.

Modification and Enforcement of Orders

Experienced NYC Family Lawyers Assisting in Order Modification & Enforcement

The New York City family law attorneys at Berkman Bottger Newman & Schein LLP have substantial experience assisting clients in the modification of child custody, support, and spousal maintenance orders, as well as the enforcement of court orders when a parent or former spouse is not meeting his or her custody or support obligations. Based in midtown Manhattan, we serve clients throughout the New York City area, in addition to Rockland, Westchester, Nassau, and Suffolk counties.

Modifying Custody, Support & Spousal Maintenance Orders in Manhattan, New York

A party to a custody, child support, or spousal maintenance order may file a petition to request a modification to an existing order if either party has experienced a material change in circumstances. When the proposed modification involves child custody or visitation, it must also be in the best interest of the child. Examples of materially changed circumstances include:

  • A former spouse’s remarriage or cohabitation with another person
  • A former spouse gains new employment or a promotion
  • One parent decides to move out of state or far from the other parent
  • A child’s changing needs, including cases in which a child develops special needs
  • A party’s deteriorating physical or mental condition, such as by drug or alcohol abuse
  • One parent’s interference with a child’s relationship with the other parent
  • A party’s conviction of a crime

At Berkman Bottger Newman & Schein LLP, we are committed to achieving our clients’ goals, and have helped many clients successfully modify custody, visitation, support, and spousal maintenance arrangements.

Enforcing New York Custody & Support Orders

Once a court establishes a custody, child support, or spousal maintenance order, nothing short of a court-approved modification or extreme circumstances can relieve a party’s obligation to follow the order. When a party is not obeying a divorce-related order, New York law provides administrative processes to enforce the orders at issue, such as:

  • Income execution
  • Unemployment insurance intercept
  • Income tax refund offset
  • Credit bureau submissions
  • Lottery intercepts
  • Property execution
  • Driver’s license suspension
  • Passport denial
  • Lien filing
  • Tax referrals

If administrative enforcement processes do not succeed, we may ask a court to enforce an order by issuing mandatory money judgments for past-due payments, by placing a noncustodial parent into a work program, by suspending professional licenses, or by issuing probation or jail sentences. Our New York enforcement attorneys can help clients petition for the enforcement of court orders, and may also defend clients against enforcement actions.

Contact a NY Family Law Attorney with Experience in Modifications & Enforcement

If you live in the New York area and need assistance modifying or enforcing a custody, child support, or spousal maintenance order, please contact Berkman Bottger Newman & Schein LLP at 212.867.9123 to schedule an appointment with an experienced NYC family law attorney.