Experienced Child Custody Lawyers in Manhattan, New York City
Berkman Bottger Newman & Rodd, LLP provides compassionate legal advice and counsel with regard to child custody matters, understanding that child custody is often one of the most difficult issues to resolve. Our NYC child custody attorneys are based in midtown Manhattan and serve clients across New York State, including Manhattan, Brooklyn, Westchester, Rockland, Nassau, and Suffolk counties.
New York Child Custody Laws – Legal & Physical Custody
Child custody laws in NY distinguish between legal and physical custody of a child. Legal custody refers to the responsibility to make major life decisions for a child, and physical custody refers to where a child will primarily reside. When determining the type of custody arrangement that is in a child’s best interests, courts look at many factors, such as:
- Which parent has been the child’s primary caretaker
- The quality of each parent’s home environment
- The parenting skills of each parent, their strengths and weaknesses, and their ability to provide for the child’s special needs, if any
- The mental and physical health of the parents, including whether either parent drinks or uses drugs
- Whether there has been domestic violence in the family
- The work schedules and child care plans of each parent
- The child’s relationships with brothers, sisters, and members of the rest of the family
- If the child is old enough, which parent the child wants to live with
- Each parent’s ability to cooperate with the other parent and to encourage a relationship with the other parent, when it is safe to do so
An experienced New York child custody lawyer from Berkman Bottger Newman & Rodd, LLP can help divorcing parents achieve fair and beneficial child custody arrangements, often through processes of mediation or collaborative law, which avoid the stress and uncertainty of trial. Should litigation become necessary to protect our clients’ rights, however, we will go to court and zealously advocate on behalf of our clients’ interests.
New York Child Custody Law – Sole & Joint Custody
Both legal and physical custody may be sole or joint. In joint legal custody, the parents make major decisions about the child together, such as decisions regarding education, health, and religion, while the smaller, day-to-day decisions are made by the parent who is physically caring for the child at the time. In sole legal custody, only one parent has the right to make major decisions about the child.
Child Custody in New York – Visitation (Parenting Time)
If one parent is awarded sole physical custody, the other parent is almost always given access to the child, with courts aiming to provide “frequent and meaningful” parenting time with the child. Under New York child custody laws, visitation may be unsupervised, supervised, or therapeutically supervised. This means that even an abusive parent can get supervised daytime visitation with his or her child.
A NY child custody lawyer from our firm can also help clients modify a custody or visitation order if there is a significant change of circumstances that affects the child’s best interests. Please see our modification and enforcement page for more information about changing a custody or visitation order.
Contact an Experienced NY Child Custody Attorney
If you are facing divorce and have children, you need a knowledgeable and supportive New York child custody attorney to help you secure a favorable custody arrangement. Please contact Berkman Bottger Newman & Rodd, LLP, located right in Manhattan, at 917-268-8716 for sophisticated, experienced family law counsel.