Long Island Family Law Attorneys
Seeking Amicable Ends to Family Law Disputes
A family law dispute can make it feel like your day-to-day life is completely upside-down. Legal challenges are difficult enough without introducing family drama into things. When you are staring down a family law case, either as the one who starts it or the respondent, you have to move forward carefully if you want to preserve any of your relationship with the other side.
You can bring your case to Berkman Bottger Newman & Schein and our Long Island family lawyers for all the legal help and guidance you need. We know how to advance family law cases of all types with carefulness and compassion. Thanks to our extensive practice experience, we can help steer your case both in and out of court.
On This Page
- What is Family Law?
- Types of Family Law Cases
- When Should You Hire a Lawyer?
- What is the Role of an Attorney?
- Frequently Asked Questions
Call (212) 466-6015 or contact us online if you want to talk to a lawyer about a family law case or dispute on Long Island.
Family law is the field of legal practice that involves family disputes, conflicts, violations, and the like. It is a fairly broad term that can apply to many different cases, petitions, lawsuits, and claims. Whereas criminal cases and civil cases go to criminal courts and civil courts, respectively, a family law case will go to a family law court for an order or trial.
When choosing the legal team to help with your Long Island family law case, be sure to work with one that actually handles family law issues often. They will have a greater familiarity with the nuances and details of these case types than a law firm that mostly works on other cases like criminal defense or personal injury. At Berkman Bottger Newman & Schein, we intentionally focus on family law and divorce cases.
As mentioned, family law in New York can apply to a wide variety of different legal issues, each pertaining to your family life. You don’t have to find many different law firms to help you with your case, though. We know how to handle virtually every family law issue that could arise. Now that you have found our firm, you have found the legal team to trust with your case.
A few of the most common family law cases that we handle include the following and more:
- Child custody: We are here to help you protect your child’s best interests, which includes spending time with and being raised by you after a separation or divorce. Family law courts prefer joint child custody arrangements, so we like to approach these cases with the hopes of reaching a fair settlement with your spouse.
- Child support: Your child’s wellbeing and day-to-day life should not be disrupted because of a divorce. To make sure that your child still gets all the care they need, child support can be arranged. It usually involves the spouse with primary custody of the child receiving monthly financial support from the nonprimary custodial spouse.
- Divorce: Ending your marriage will be stressful, but it doesn’t have to be a negative experience. Let us lead the way through your divorce, so you can be confident that your best interests are upheld from start to finish.
- Modifications: A divorce or family law order is made based on the best available information and what the court can reasonably foresee. However, unexpected life changes can and do happen. If a family law court order is no longer tenable, then we can discuss how to file a petition to have it modified.
- Prenuptial agreements: You can plan for divorce, just in case it ever happens, by making a prenuptial agreement before you are ever married. Prenups let you pre-decide many different divorce and family law dispute concerns, as long as those issues do not directly involve your children.
People often wonder if they should hire a family law attorney to help with their case, or if they should just try to manage things on their own. If you’re in the same situation, then you should know that there’s never a bad time to talk to our Long Island family law attorneys about your case. We would be happy to help you decide if your case needs the representation of a lawyer or if guided counsel would be enough. At the least, hiring a family lawyer will greatly reduce the stress of the situation by putting a professional in charge of everything.
As your chosen Long Island family lawyers, we can help you with:
- Preparation: The start of a family law case can feel like the most difficult step to take. With us leading the way, we can help you take that step and all that follow. You will be prepared to make a petition, respond to one, and much more.
- Filing: After creating a petition to bring to the County Clerk’s Office or court, it must be filed correctly. We know how to properly file all sorts of family law cases, so yours can begin without any obstacles.
- Mediation or negotiation: A family law dispute can be settled without the need for a trial. Most cases don’t need a trial, actually. Let us help you reach a settlement or agreement through negotiation or mediation that focuses on cooperation and collaboration, rather than a courtroom contest.
- Litigation: There is always the chance that a family law case will go to trial. Even simple disputes have the potential to become heated and locked in a back-and-forth. If this happens to your case, our role will be to act on your half before the court and defeat the arguments that the opposition brings.
- Confidence: Overall, we want you to feel confident that your family law case is progressing correctly and in a way that benefits your best interests. Let us put your worries at ease by handing the many parts of your case to our experienced team.
Call to Speak to Professional & Compassionate Attorneys
A family law case will benefit from an attorney’s legal knowledge, but it can also benefit from an element of real compassion. When you come to Berkman Bottger Newman & Schein, you can expect the powerful representation of a large law firm paired with the genuine care of a small law firm. This balance of professionalism and empathy can help you through any tough family law case or lawsuit.
Talk to our Long Island family law attorneys by dialing (212) 466-6015 today.
INDUSTRY THOUGHT LEADERS
DEDICATED TO YOUR SUCCEss
DEDICATED MATRIMONIAL & DIVORCE ATTORNEYS PROTECTING OUR CLIENTS’ RIGHTS, ASSETS, & FAMILY
CREATIVE SOLUTIONS TO DIFFICULT & COMPLEX PROBLEMS
All families and marriages are unique - our attorneys take the time to listen to our clients to fully understand the circumstances of their case. Only then do we advise the best legal option for their goals.
PROMPT RESPONSES TO INDIVIDUAL NEEDS AND INQUIRES
Divorce is a time of transition. We understand the emotional and financial stress that clients experience during the divorce process – from day one our team ensures that we provide our clients with prompt feedback so that they are updated on their case every step of the way.
CHOICES AND OPTIONS TAILORED TO EACH CASE
We are one of the only Manhattan divorce law firms offering all three options for divorce: litigation/negotiation, collaborative law, and mediation - providing custom strategies and solutions for our clients.
INDUSTRY THOUGHT LEADERS DEDICATED TO YOUR SUCCESS
Our attorneys provide frequent expert legal commentary for national media outlets and have been quoted in numerous publications including Fox's Business, NBC News, ABC News, CBS News and many more.
READY TO DISCUSS YOUR OPTIONS?
Call 212-466-6015 or fill out the form below to get started.