Skip to Content
Litigation. Collaborative Law. Mediation.

Enforcement and Modification of Court Orders after Your Divorce


While your divorce order puts the final stamp on the dissolution of your marriage, the terms of the order often include ongoing obligations that must be met for as long as the order indicates. Should either party fail to abide by the terms of the order, the aggrieved ex-spouse can seek redress in court. For example, a failure to pay child support or spousal support can land the derelict parent in front of a judge. Likewise, if a custodial parent fails to allow the non-custodial parent court-ordered access with a child, the parties may wind up back in court.

As the years pass, changes in life may cause one or both parties to seek a change in the court orders. A parent may want increased parenting time with a child, or may want to change custody arrangements entirely. Child custody may need to be modified for issues such as the inability of the custodial parent to provide a stable environment. The court will examine a number of issues in a modification of custody case, including whether a change in the custodial arrangement is in the best interest of a child or is interfering with the non-custodial parent’s rights to access.