Phone: 212-867-9123 Fax: 212-983-8526
A founding partner of Berkman Bottger Newman & Schein LLP, Barry Berkman received his B.A. degree from Harvard College and his law degree from Stanford University. Specializing in matrimonial law and mediation, he has guided many of his clients to successful, highly satisfactory out-of-court resolutions through the collaborative law process or mediation. He has served on the American Bar Association Task Force on Standards of Practice for Divorce Mediation and has been a member of the Matrimonial Committee of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York. Mr. Berkman also serves as a Mediator on the New York County Supreme Court’s Roster of Matrimonial Mediators. He has served on the Board of Directors of the Family and Divorce Mediation Counsel of Greater New York, and is a co-founder of the New York Collaborative Law Group. Mr. Berkman has taught matrimonial law as an adjunct professor at Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law and Fordham Law School and teaches mediation at the Center for Mediation in Law. He has made numerous CLE presentations on behalf of the New York, Westchester and Nassau County Bar Associations, as well as the American Bar Association. These activities and his reputation for ethical standards and professional ability among his fellow lawyers have earned him the highest rating, AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated SM by Martindale-Hubbell®. Similarly, Mr. Berkman has been selected by his peers for listing in The Best Lawyers in America 2010-2017 edition and in New York Super Lawyers in 2009-2017. Mr. Berkman also spoke about collaborative law on National Public Radio's "This American Life."
"Our clients are going through an extraordinarily difficult time in their lives, and they know they can count on us to be there for them."
For more information on Barry providing Divorce, Mediation & Collaborative Law
see more at: www.barryberkmanmediation.com
Areas of practice
Honors and Recognitions
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America, Family Law, 2019 Edition
- Av Rated Preeminent for 2018 - Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence
- Inclusion in SuperLawyers, 2009-2018
- Inclusion in Best Lawyers, 2010-2019
- The Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- New York State Bar Association
- American Bar Association (Former Member, Task Force on Standards of Practice in Mediation)
- New York Association of Collaborative Professionals (Founding Member)
- Divorcing Couple's House Divided by Wall, New York Divorce Report, January 23, 2007
- Mediation Barriers, Divorce Magazine, 2006
- Litigation Collaborative Law Explained, New York Law Journal, February 22, 2005
- Divorce, Without the Courts, Miller Boileau Family Law Group, May 20, 2004
- Amiable Unhitching, With a Prod, New York Times, May 20, 2004
- Harvard College, B.A.
- Stanford University Law School, LL.B.
Admitted to practice law
- New York
- United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York