Phone: 212-867-9123 Fax: 212-983-8526
John Teufel joined Berkman Bottger Newman & Schein LLP in January of 2015. John received his Juris Doctor from Brooklyn Law School in 2014, where he focused on family law. John has served as a fellow for Justice Deborah Kaplan in the Matrimonial Part of the state Supreme Court, and as an intern for the LGBT Bar Association of Greater New York. He has authored several case studies published in the national journal Lesbian and Gay Law Notes, as well as a thesis studying issues unique to same-sex divorces across state lines.
John's practice focuses on the litigation of contested divorce, custody, and post-judgment matters. He has represented many clients before courts throughout New York City, as well as in Westchester and on Long Island. John enjoys courtroom time, and relishes the opportunity to state his clients' cases directly to a judge. John is also adept at motion practice in the context of litigation, and utilizes affidavits and memorandums of law to forward his clients' objectives and to provide courts with a clean and understandable narrative of a case. John believes that contentious litigations are won through the use of deliberate and carefully considered strategy, from the very beginning of a case. He works closely with clients to develop and implement that strategy, and understands the value of settlement when it is appropriate.
John has also been retained in connection with several actions concerning the enforcement of prenuptial agreements that are governed by New York law, but enforced in other states. He has thus developed a deep knowledge of the strengths and weaknesses of New York prenuptial agreements, and the reasons courts may either uphold them, or strike them down.
Prior to joining BBNR, John spent two years as a law clerk with a Brooklyn-based family law firm. John is also a writer with a degree in English from New York University, and regularly contributes his observations on family law matters to the Berkman Bottger Newman & Schein LLP blog.
Areas of practice
Honors and Recognitions
- SuperLawyers Rising Star, 2017-2019
- New York State Bar Association (Member, Family Law Committee)
- LGBT Bar Association of Greater New York
- New York County Lawyers’ Association
- New York City Bar Association (Member, LGBT Rights Committee)
- "Remember to Act Like a Good Parent: The Ethical Limits to Preparing a Client for Forensic Examination" - Family News & Views, April 2018
- “U.S. Bankruptcy Court Finds Section 3 of Defense of Marriage Act Unconstitutional” - Lesbian and Gay Law Notes, Summer 2011
- “New York Court Dissolves Vermont Civil Union After Determining Parental Status Issues” - Lesbian and Gay Law Notes, September 2011
- New York University, B.A., magna cum laude, 2006
- Brooklyn Law School, J.D., 2014
Admitted to practice law
- September, 2015 - New York